09 November, 2013

Grease Lightning!



There is a small group of people that know I get pulled deep into a performance.

I am easily swayed by the emotions portrayed by the actors. I have even been teased for the facial expressions I pull when watching something. 

These reactions may include; nodding sympathetically, expressions of utter horror, and literally beaming with joy. I am now well aware that I do this. 

But I'm usually too distracted by the entertainment that I forget the dorky faces I might be pulling.  

Because it is so easy for me to feel apart of a performance, I love to watch them. 

Despite the questionable morals, Grease was my favourite musical film as a kid. Well...it was the first and only musical I knew of at the time so I guess that's why.

So when my older sister bought my younger sister and I tickets to see 'Grease is the Word.' I was so excited! I thought it might have been an early birthday present, but she bought them just because she knew we wanted to go.

We have the best big sister! 


The Outfit 


I decided to dress up a little bit for the night. To make the night a little more festive. Luckily I already had some clothes at home that I could wear (so I didn't have to waste money buying a new outfit.)


I wore a mini pleather skirt.
I got this one from Sportsgirl for $30
(As well as being in my size, it was on sale from $60!)  

Then I put this pink Forecast blazer on top of a simple sheer singlet.
It's just the perfect colour! 

Along with some curls and red lips I was pretty
 happy with my overall look.


The Musical


Now don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that I was able to go to the musical and the whole cast were very talented. But I am going to give my honest opinions about the performance.

It started off with a lot of audience involvement. I struggled to enjoy this. The actors ran into the audience and cheered us on as they made us sing the lyrics to 'We Go Together.'

You know the song with all the fun non sensical words:

Ra-ma la-ma la-ma ka ding a da ding de dong
Shoo-bop sha wad-da wad-da yipp-it-y boom de boom
Chang chang chang-it-ty chang shoo-bop
Dip da-dip da-dip doo-wop da doo-bee doo
Boog-e-dy boog-e-dy boog-e-dy boog-ed-y
Shoo-by doo-wop she-bop

And you're kidding yourself if you think you can sing all the words right. I know that I for one would suddenly go into a quiet mumble at the end of the line:

"We go toge-ther like alaalaalaala mmmmm."

In summary the musical was full of neon and sometimes seizure causing lights, fun and flirty 50s costumes, men in tight pants, great singing and occasionally awkward American accents.

Rob Mills who played Danny, is definitely a swoon worthy bloke. But his character didn't live up to the standards I had from the 1978 musical film with John Travolta.

He did try to throw in a couple, cheap attempts at Travolta's laugh. Hopefully you know what I mean.

You know... when he says, "Come on Sandy, Don't make me laugh, ha. ha. ha."

I also found the relationship between Danny and Sandy quite confusing and incomplete. Danny continued to go off with many girls throughout the performance. There seemed to be no development in their relationship what so ever.

Somehow Sandy still held onto her Summer sweetheart despite the fact that he was (lets be honest) a total jerk to her the whole time. I felt that in the entire show, we never saw Danny be sincere to Sandy.

Putting this confusing relationship behind. I thoroughly enjoyed watching and listening to the more minor characters have solos. I liked the fact that the other actors got to showcase their talents in songs I hadn't heard before.

Now, I know most of the songs in Grease off by heart. But when you have bought tickets to watch a musical you do not want to hear the sing along mumbles of people behind you.

I will be honest and say I felt like singing at some points and I don't want to sound like a prude. But I came to the musical to hear the professionals sing, not excited teenagers and their mothers.

I didn't "shush!" anyone, but I did do the slight head turn. I think they got the message.

The musical ended on a high note, having an energetic and fun final number. This did involve the audience being invited to sing along as the band played a Medley of all the major songs.

The one thing I have always found awkward about musical performances are the bows. I want to show my appreciation to the cast, so I try to keep my enthusiasm at a constant level.

But when all the actors take their bows, not once, not twice but three times it is hard to continue the applause. I get worried about not being able to express my gratitude successfully.

Because, there is a limit to how much high intensity clapping and cheering a person can do!

I suppose the audience has the opportunity to give back energy the actors gave them throughout the entire performance. So cheering for the 5 minutes can be dealt with.

'Grease is the Word' was not one of my favourite musicals. However, nothing is better than watching a live show with an excellent band, high energy and talented actors.

I will forever remain hopelessly devoted to Grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment